Friday, October 19, 2007

And the blues...

In some regards, Baton Rouge is considered a mecca for Blues music. Is it part of the pantheon of Blues towns like St. Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago. Of course not, but for one reason or another, people seem to be well-convinced that the deuce and a quarter need more blues-based entertainment.

I can only assume that that belief is largely held by people in and around the deuce and a quarter, as I, for the life of me, can only name two blues fans.

But, more peculiar is the overwhelming volume of white blues bands... it seemed that there was a time, not long ago, where it was nigh impossible to go to any non-college bar in town and avoid a white blues band. Invariably, they'd be mucking their way through some cover of "Brown Eyed Girl"...

Now, that isn't to say that white folks can't play the blues, George Thorogood and ZZ Top seemed to prove it doable, but there's just something that turns my stomach about the white blues, as played in the Big Raggedy. I'll encapsulate it later, but I think it has something to do with berets, ponytails, and vests.

Having said that, Lil Ray Neal is playing on Sunday in front of Big Shaw. And, I can full well promise you he won't be covering "Hotel California".

No comments: